joi, 4 noiembrie 2010

Ieromonk Ghelasie Gheorghe: "Akathist to the Holy Guardian Angel" (translation from Romanian by Alice Butnar)


Icon painting by St. Andrew (Andrei) Rublev



















(It is read individually as a Prayer Rule, daily or at least once a week)

Kontakion 1

Honored is the Angel-Image in Thee, Guardian Angel, who wilt descend from ABOVE to the earthly, for Heaven and Earth to Meet, and thus let us Sing:
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Ikos 1

Heaven is the Angel-Image, while Earth is the Man-Image, and they are both UNITED in the IMAGE of CHRIST, and thus all Creation can Talk with the CREATOR Himself.

Holy Guardian Angel, Thou didst Choose me when I was Born;
Holy Guardian Angel, at my Birth Thou didst Ask for me from the LORD;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thou hast gained my Obedience;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thou hast strengthened me with Thy Heavenly Power;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thou hast clad me in Your Love;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thou didst take me in Your Arms from GOD’S very HANDS;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 2

Thou hast taken care of me from my Mother’s womb, and always secretly told me about those ABOVE, and ever since then I know of the Singing of: ALELLUIA!

Ikos 2

Thou hast taught me so much, and coming into my Life Thou hast raised me like a Child, for me to know myself the Creator of all.

Holy Guardian Angel, Thou didst know that I would sin in my life;
Holy Guardian Angel, yet Thou also didst believe in my Return;
Holy Guardian Angel, Love diminished by nothing;
Holy Guardian Angel, Eager to gain me as a GOD-loving soul;
Holy Guardian Angel, tireless to deliver me from the evil;
Holy Guardian Angel, Protector at all times;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 3

How can it be that Thou, Who art more Radiant than the Sun, didst come to me the earthly and darkened one? . . . O, Heavenly Love, I offer up my Song with Love: ALELLUIA!

Ikos 3

O, Ever-Patient Holy Angel, Who art not disgusted by my small-spiritedness, my hard-heartedness and all my passions and infirmities.

Holy Guardian Angel, Heavenly Mercy on Earth;
Holy Guardian Angel, endless Patience from ABOVE;
Holy Guardian Angel, steadfast, unfaltering Faith in my SALVATION;
Holy Guardian Angel, Confidence in Man’s Restoration;
Holy Guardian Angel, Intercessor for the Remission of my sins;
Holy Guardian Angel, unfailing Helper;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 4

You Angels are a great GIFT to us Men, for because of sin we are ever prone to falling into deception, and it is Your Help that drives away all perils, so that we can Sing: ALELLUIA!

Ikos 4

Grant me Thy Help, Holy Guardian Angel, for me not to wallow in my passions, and Pray to the All-Kind GOD to have Mercy on me.

Holy Guardian Angel, under Whose Protection I am Day and Night;
Holy Guardian Angel, Who dost Witness all my deeds;
Holy Guardian Angel, Who art often saddened by me;
Holy Guardian Angel, Who dost veil Thy Sight at my corruption;
Holy Guardian Angel, Who dost endure my slothful deeds;
Holy Guardian Angel, Who dost not dismiss me from Thy Sight;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 5

Thou didst ever advise me to become a true Believer, to do my duty and obedience with all sincerity, to depart from all deception and wickedness, and to sing: ALELLUIA!

Ikos 5

O, Holy Guardian Angel, Thou dost so much wish to see my true Image that GOD has GIVEN me, and how glad Thou wouldst be if I were Your follower!

Holy Guardian Angel, I thank Thee for Thy Heavenly Love;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thy Faith in my Salvation is burning me;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thy enduring Waiting for me to be Restored is paining me;
Holy Guardian Angel, Thy Forgiveness is overwhelming me;
Holy Guardian Angel, I truly see myself through Thee;
Holy Guardian Angel, I realize who I am;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 6

Days are passing and I approach my grave, and seeing the “emptiness” of my Life I am frightened. Thou, my Holy Angel, art my only Comfort and Courage, in the Singing of: ALELLUIA!

Ikos 6

The world of ETERNITY is “fire and burning”, and what will remain of me the slothful? Holy Angel, stay by my side for ever.

Holy Guardian Angel, what am I to do, for I do not have the FULFILLMENT of Life;
Holy Guardian Angel, how can I remain Fruitless;
Holy Guardian Angel, how am I to pass into ETERNITY without “the GARB of Immortality”;
Holy Guardian Angel, I am terrified for not being received;
Holy Guardian Angel, I shudder at the rightful Judgment;
Holy Guardian Angel, I stand in bitter shame;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 7

O, my Holy Angel, Thou didst take me from GOD’S very HANDS to TAKE me UP to GOD again, as Thou hast boldness towards GOD, in the Singing of: ALELLUIA!

Ikos 7

Only if Thou, my Holy Angel, dost “Clothe” me in Thy Image, will I be able to safely pass “the redeeming borderland”.

Holy Guardian Angel, please do not return to Heaven without me;
Holy Guardian Angel, do not forsake me, leaving me with the lost;
Holy Guardian Angel, Pray more than ever for me;
Holy Guardian Angel, Ask GOD for my Forgiveness;
Holy Guardian Angel, may I fulfill the path of my Life by Thy Holiness;
Holy Guardian Angel, by Thy Love I shall reach safe haven;
Holy Guardian Angel, Spiritual Joy!

Kontakion 8

O my Holy Guardian Angel, Love descended from ABOVE, lift me up, the earthly one, to the KINGDOM of GOD, as this is the utmost last FULFILLMENT, for me to also sing: ALELLUIA!

(repeated three times)

Then the first Ikos and first Kontakion are also repeated.



(published in the volume "Isihasm" ("Hesychasmus"), Platytera Publishing House, Bucharest, 2007, p. 119-123. Translation from Romanian: Alice Butnar)

Copyright: Platytera Publishing House

The Romanian (Original) Version can be found here.
The German Version can be found here.

Un comentariu:

  1. Another one (full version) can be found here:

    https://akathisttoguardianangel.wordpress.com/

    RăspundețiȘtergere